If you are a mum, then you probably put your needs after those of your family, but it is essential to care for yourself and particularly to look after your oral health. Because of hormonal changes that take place throughout life, women can be more vulnerable to developing oral health problems, including gum disease. Hormones can also affect the bones, causing bone thinning or osteoporosis in older women. Follow our easy tips to ensure your smile remains strong and healthy.
- Drink more water. Keep some cooling in the fridge and make sure you always have a refillable bottle with you.
- Carry a travel toothbrush with you and some dental floss. That way when you have a moment, you can freshen up wherever you are.
- If you can’t brush, chew sugar-free gum, preferably containing xylitol which kills mouth bacteria.
- Make smarter snack choices by choosing cheese or by keeping plenty of ready washed and sliced fruits and vegetables.
- Don’t forget to floss every day as otherwise, you’ll be leaving a third of your tooth surfaces uncleaned. It only takes a couple of minutes to floss thoroughly but if you’d like some more tips just ask our friendly dental team.