When you want a cosy night in, this pudding is unbeatable.
3 thinly sliced bread rolls
1 vanilla bean, split and with the seeds scraped
250ml thickened cream
110g white sugar
2tbsp apricot jam
2tbsp sultanas soaked in warm water and drained
Pinch of salt
50g room temperature butter
- Grease an ovenproof 5-cup dish with butter and preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Put the milk, vanilla seeds and pod, salt and cream into a saucepan. Over medium-low heat, bring pan to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the eggs and sugar together until thoroughly mixed. Continue whisking and gradually add the milk mixture. Strain through a sieve into a jug.
- Butter the bread and reserve any leftover butter. Arrange the slices in the ovenproof dish and sprinkle with sultanas. Pour over milk mixture and dot with any remaining butter.
- Put the dish into a larger baking dish or pan and pour boiling water around it until it reaches halfway up. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until just set.
- Mix jam with a little boiling water until smooth and brush over pudding. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.